Maine Department of Marine Resources
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 738
In 1998, as part of the Maine Lights Program, Burnt Island Light was transferred from the Coast Guard to the Maine Department of Marine Resources. The DMR has established the Burnt Island Living Lighthouse Program and has been developing programs in navigation, ecosystems, fisheries, art, literature and music. There are youth programs as well as programs for the general public. The U.S. Coast Guard still maintains the active optic.
Tower Height: 30
Height of Focal Plane: 61
Characteristic and Range: Flashing red every six seconds, with two white sectors. Red is visible for 12 nautical miles, white for 15. Lighted 24 hours a day.
Description of Tower: White conical rubblestone tower attached to keeper's house by walkway.
This light is operational
1857 1.5 story wood keeper's cottage, 1889 oil house, 1880 boathouse, 1877 barn, 1907 hen house, original fuel house.
Date Established: 1821
Date Present Tower Built: 1821
Date Automated: 1989
Optics: 1857: Fourth order Fresnel lens. 1989: 300 mm. The 1857 lens is now at Shore Village Museum, 104 Limerock Street, Rockland, ME 04841, phone (207) 594-0311.
Fog Signal: 1895: 1,000 pound fog bell and striking apparatus in pyramidal bell tower. Now electric automated fog signal with one blast every 10 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, educational facility.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
A public tour and educational program is offered from early July until the end of August. Balmy Days Cruises' vessel Novelty, located at Pier 8 in Boothbay Harbor, serves as the ferry to the island. You can call (207)633-2284 for more information on the tours. There are also other sightseeing cruises out of Boothbay Harbor that pass Burnt Island Light. One is Cap'n Fish's Whale Watch and Scenic Nature Cruises, leaving from Pier One in Boothbay Harbor; call (207) 633-3244 for information and reservations. Contact the Boothbay Harbor Region Chamber of Commerce at (207) 633-2353 for information on other area cruises. Also, the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath offers cruises in summer; some of them land at Burnt Island. Call (207) 443-1316 for information.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: J.P. Chandler (1830s); Joseph C. Auld (1841-1845); Jason Fuller (1845-1849); Franklin Jones (1849-1853); William McKown (1853-1868); James A. McCobb (1868-1880); Freeman Grover, Jr. (1880-1890); James Burke (1890-1894); Willis Dolliver (1894); William T. Holbrook (1894-1909); William A. Stetson (1910-1931); Albert Staples (c. 1932); Joseph Muise (1936-1951); Benjamin Stockbridge (1951-1955); James Buotte (1955-1958); James McCullough (1958-1962); Dana Hale (Coast Guard, 1961-1962), Edward O'Shea (Coast Guard officer in charge, September 1963 to spring 1965); Earl Alley (Coast Guard, 1963-1965); Richard Bown (Coast Guard, 1966-1967); Thomas Hassler (Coast Guard, 1967-1968); Thomas Norton (Coast Guard, 1968-1971); Paul Kelly (Coast Guard, 1971-1973); Jerry Marlowe (Coast Guard, 1973-1974), Randall Griffing (Coast Guard, 1974-1977), John Appleby (Coast Guard, 1977-1979); Stephen Pitchford (Coast Guard, 1979-1980); Christopher Cooney (Coast Guard, 1980-1983); Henry Sieg (Coast Guard, 1983-1988)