Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Browns Head Light   Map it!

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
Vinalhaven, Maine, United States

Location: Northwest end of Vinalhaven Island, Penobscot Bay.


Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Jeremy D'Entremont
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
American Lighthouse Foundation

Tower Height: 20

Height of Focal Plane: 39

Characteristic and Range: Fixed white with two red sectors, white visible for 14 nautical miles, red for 11.

Description of Tower: White cylindrical brick tower attached to keeper's house.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
1857 1.5 story wood keeper's cottage, 1903 oil house.

Earlier Towers?
1832: 20 foot stone tower.

Date Established: 1832

Date Present Tower Built: 1857

Date Automated: 1987

Optics: 1857: Fifth order Fresnel lens; 1902: Fourth order Fresnel lens (still in use).

Fog Signal: 1857: Fog bell with striking mechanism in bell tower; now automated horn with one blast every 10 seconds.

Current Use: Active aid to navigation

Open To Public? Grounds only

Directions:
Vinalhaven is accessible via a car/passenger ferry from Rockland. Call (207) 596-2203 for information. After leaving the ferry in Vinalhaven, turn left, then turn right up High Street. Follow this road for 6.1 miles to a beautiful view toward the Camden Hills. Then take the second left, Crockett River Road, marked by mailboxes. Take the second right up a small hill. From here you'll have a view of the lighthouse and the Fox Islands Thorofare. Some sightseeing cruises in the area may pass Browns Head Light.

Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: David Wooster (1832-1841); John Calderwood (1841-1843); Howland Dyer (1843-1864); William Thomas (1864-1865); Peleg Thomas (1865-1867); Benjamin E. Burgess (1867-1905); Charles Burgess (1905-1910); Alonzo Morong (c. 1928); Ernest V. Talbot (c. 1935); Merrill Poor (Coast Guard, 1945-1955), Ernest DeRaps (Coast Guard, 1961-1962); John Baxter (c. 1973), Charles Lawson (Coast Guard, c. 1970s)

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History