Maurice River Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 141
This lighthouse is owned by the State of New Jersey and is leased to the Maurice River Historical Society. The building was badly damaged in a fire in 1971. It was relighted as an aid to navigation in 1980. The exterior received some restoration in 1998. In 2016 and early 2017 a major $852,000 restoration of the exterior and interior took place. There are plans to establish a wildlife and maritime museum with a gift shop at the site.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 43
Characteristic and Range: White light, 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off.
Description of Tower: Octagonal brick tower on roof of keeper's house.
This light is operational
Integral 2.5 story brick keeper's dwelling, oil house.
Date Established: 1849
Date Present Tower Built: 1849
Date Deactivated: 1941-1980
Date Automated: 1911
Optics: 18??: Sixth order Fresnel lens, now 250 mm optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Occasionally.
The lighthouse is near the end of East Point Road in Maurice River Township, southwest of Heislerville. The lighthouse is sometimes opened by appointment or for special occasions. It's open to the public during the NJ Lighthouse Challenge held on the third weekend of October by the New Jersey Lighthouse Society. Also, the Maurice River Historical Society holds an annual open house at the lighthouse on the first Saturday in August.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places