Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Cape Arago Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Cape Gregory Light

Nearest Town or City:
Charleston, Oregon, United States

Location: Southwest of entrance to Coos Bay.


Click to enlarge: Photo    Large photo
Photo: Gary Martin
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Confederated Tribes

Notes:
For some years the two previous Cape Arago lighthouses stood along with the present one. The 1866 tower was dynamited in 1937; the 1909 building was destroyed in the 1960s. The lighthouse was renovated by the Coast Guard in 1993.It was deactivated as an aid to navigation on January 1, 2006. In 2012, the bridge from the mainland to the lighthouse was demolished. In August of 2013, under federal legislation, the ownership of the lighthouse transferred to the Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siusaw..

Tower Height: 44

Height of Focal Plane: 100

Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 30 seconds.

Description of Tower: White, octagonal concrete tower attached to fog signal building.

This light is operational

Other Buildings?
Integral concrete fog signal building.

Earlier Towers?
1866: Octagonal iron tower; 1909: Octagonal wooden tower attached to keeper's quarters.

Date Established: 1866

Date Present Tower Built: 1934

Date Deactivated: 2006

Date Automated: 1966

Optics: 1866: Fourth order Fresnel lens (now at Coos Bay History Museum in Coos Bay, Oregon), now VRB-25 solar powered optic.

Fog Signal: Automated horn.

Current Use: Unknown.

Open To Public? No.

Directions:
The shore opposite this lighthouse can be reached via a footpath in Sunset Bay State Park, at 10965 Cape Arago Highway in Coos Bay. For information on this park call 541-888-4902.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Frederick Amundsen, William Denning.

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History