Historically Significant Structures
This light marks the approach to New York City from the northeast. The tower was designed by the noted architect Alexander Parris. The location got its name from a reported practice of the British during the American Revolution -- they would supposedly chain prisoners on the nearby reef and allow the high tide to kill them. Nobody knows if this really happened. In 2009, under the National Lighthouse Preservation Act, ownership of the lighthouse was awarded to Historically Significant Structures.
Tower Height: 60
Height of Focal Plane: 62
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, conical granite tower with brown band around middle, attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
2.5 story granite keeper's house.
Date Established: 1850
Date Present Tower Built: 1850
Date Automated: 1979
Optics: 18??: Fourth order Fresnel lens, now APRB-251, solar powered.
Fog Signal: Originally bell, now automated horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only.
Keepers: Leonard Clark (c. 1920s), Adam L. Kohlman (assistant, c. 1920s), Tom Buckridge (?-1979); George Clark (?-1979).