The Maplin Sands Lighthouse is believed to be the first to have been built on the screwpile design invented in the 1830s by Alexander Mitchell (1780-1868). Erosion of the seabed caused the lighthouse to be abandoned in 1931 and to collapse the following year.
Tower Height: 69
Height of Focal Plane: 36
Description of Tower: Red tower on piles with a dwelling under the lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1838
Date Deactivated: 1931
Current Use: Destroyed (1932).
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!