Lighthouse Park District
Contact Address Information:
2601 Sheridan Road
This light station was decommissioned by the Lighthouse Service in 1935. The federal government deeded the property to the City of Evanston. The city then leased the area to the North Park District. In 1946 the light was relit. Restoration of the lighthouse began in 1973. The restored light station was named a National Historic Landmark in 1999.
Tower Height: 113
Height of Focal Plane: 121
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 15 seconds
Description of Tower: Cream-colored conical brick tower with red trim.
This light is operational
Three story brick keeper's house, two fog signal buildings.
Date Established: March 1, 1874
Date Present Tower Built: 1873
Date Deactivated: 1935-1946
Optics: 1873: Second order Fresnel lens (still in use).
Current Use: Private aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The lighthouse and keeper's house museum are open weekends June through September except holiday weekends. Lighthouse tours are at 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 p.m., with a limit of 12 people per tour. No children under eight are allowed. There are 141 stairs to the top. The tours are given on a "first come, first served" basis. Call 847-328-6961 for more information.
The lighthouse is at 2535 Sheridan Road in Evanston, near Northwestern University. For information on Lake Michigan lighthouse tours, call the West Michigan Tourist Association at (800) 442-2084 or visit their website at www.wmta.org. For reservations, call Brenner Tours at 800-338-5963.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: A list of the keepers at this station can be seen at www.terrypepper.com/lights/michigan/grossepoint/keepers.htm