Canadian Coast Guard
This lighthouse was damaged by a winter storm in 1987 and subsequently repaired.
Tower Height: 41
Height of Focal Plane: 43
Characteristic and Range: Fixed red.
Description of Tower: White, hexagonal pyramidal wooden tower with red trim and red lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1885
Date Present Tower Built: 1885
Fog Signal: Hand-operated foghorn, 1910-1963.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
To drive to the lighthouse, turn left at the end of Highway 6 in Tobermory and follow Big Tub Road around the point to the lighthouse. Parking is available at the end of Big Tub Road. There is also a handicapped-accessible path and viewing area, the work of the Friends of Fathom Five and the former St. Edmund's Township. The Blue Heron Company offers cruises that include views of Big Tub Light; call (519) 596-8132 or email email@example.com for information.
Keepers: Charles Earl (kept lantern on tree that predated lighthouse, c. 1870s), Abraham Davis (1885-?)
Nearby Lodging: The former keeper's dwelling at this lighthouse is available as a vacation rental. Call 519-371-1098 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.