The 1903 lighthouse here was destroyed by the Germans in 1940 and replaced by a blockhaus. After the war, a watchroom with a light on one corner was built on the blockhaus. The blockhaus was demolished in 1998 and a replica of the 1903 tower, made of polyester, became operational at the end of 1999.
Characteristic and Range: Fixed green, visible for 5 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Green, circular polyester tower.
This light is operational
1814: Wooden structure. 1835: White circular tower, focal plane 43' (destroyed by storm in 1903). 1903: White circular tower on oblong building, focal plane 40' (destroyed in 1940). Late 1940s: Light on corner of blockhaus on jetty, focal plane 56'.
Date Established: 1814
Date Present Tower Built: 1999
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!