Inland Seas Maritime Museum
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 435
This lighthouse is a replica of the 1877 tower that once stood in Vermilion Harbor. The original was moved to East Charity Shoals in Lake Ontario in 1929. In September 2016 a reproduction Fresnel lens manufactured by Dan Spinella of Artworks Florida was installed in the tower. A relighting ceremony held on September 15, 2016 was attended by over 500 people.
Tower Height: 16
Height of Focal Plane: 35
Characteristic and Range: Fixed red.
Description of Tower: White (lower part red) octagonal steel tower.
This light is operational
1847: Lighthouse on pier. 1859: Wooden tower. 1877: Iron tower on west pier. 1929: 18-foot steel tower.
Date Established: 1847
Date Present Tower Built: 1991
Optics: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation, part of museum.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is on the grounds of the Inland Seas Maritime Museum. The museum houses an extensive collection of vessel models, ship profiles and blueprints, and the steam engine from a tugboat. There is also an extensive library at the museum, and a gift shop. The museum is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: J. H. Burns (1871-?), George Vivian Codding (April 1, 1901 - October 31, 1904)