Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: False Duck Island Light (old)  

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Old False Duck Island Light

Nearest Town or City:
Milford, Ontario, Canada

Location: Quinte Peninsula, Lake Ontario.


Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Susan R. LeFever
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Mariners Park Marine Museum

Telephone: 613-476-8392

Website: http://www.pec.on.ca/mariners-museum/

Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 12
Milford
Ontario, K0K 2P0, Canada

Notes:
This lighthouse was replaced by a new tower in 1965, and two years later the lantern and lens were removed and donated to the Prince Edward Historical Society to become a memorial to the County's many sailors. The 30-foot memorial tower is on the grounds of the Mariners Park Marine Museum.

Tower Height: 30

Characteristic and Range: Fixed white, visible for 13 miles.

Description of Tower: 1828: 63-foot white, conical tower; focal plane 68 feet. 1967: Original lantern on conical 30' stone tower.

This light is not operational

Date Established: 1828

Date Present Tower Built: 1828

Date Deactivated: 1965

Optics: Third order Fresnel lens.

Current Use: Memorial at museum.

Open To Public? Grounds only.

Museum?
The Mariners Park Museum portrays the lives of local families and their work. There are nautical artifacts, photographs, vessel models, early motors, and much more. Lectures, workshops, guided tours and activity days are offered. The museum is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekends from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving, daily except Fridays in July and August.

Directions:
The lighthouse and museum are at the intersection of CR-10 and CR-13 in Milford.

Keepers: Joseph Swetman (1828-?), Fred Swetman (1863-1886), W.H. Lane (1886-1891), P.M. Farrington (1891-1894), J.H. Hudgins (1894-1903), Dorland Dulmage (1903-1912), J.W. Hudgins (1912-1918), G.E. Hudgins (1918-1923), K.A. Duetta (1923-1924), J. Hutchinson (1924-1927), Elmer Bongard (1927-1928), Kenneth McConnell (1928-1957), James McConnell (1957-1965)

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History