State of Delaware
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 1001
The lighthouse is owned by the State of Delaware and has been leased to the Friends of Fenwick Island Lighthouse since 1981. Restoration work was done on the tower in 1978-82, 1989-90 and again in 1996-97.
Tower Height: 84
Height of Focal Plane: 83
This light is operational
1859 two-story wood frame keeper's house, garage, barn, cistern, generator building.
Date Established: 1859
Date Present Tower Built: 1859
Date Deactivated: 1978-1982
Date Automated: 1940
Optics: 1859: Third order Fresnel lens, still in use.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation, museum.
A small museum has been established in the base of the tower, and the generator building has been converted into a gift shop. The lighthouse is open for occasional tours; call (302) 436-8410 for dates and times.
From 142nd Street in Ocean City, turn onto Lighthouse Avenue and continue to the lighthouse. South on DE 1: Just past DE 54 turn right on 146th Street and continue to the lighthouse.