Little Cumberland Association
This lighthouse was damaged and darkened during the Civil War. It has been privately owned since the 1920s. It was bought in 1961 by the Little Cumberland Association. The association renovated the lighthouse in 1968 and relighted it briefly. The exterior was restored in 1994-95, and further renovations of the exterior were completed in 1998.
Tower Height: 60
Height of Focal Plane: 71
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower with black cast iron lantern.
Listed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1838
Date Present Tower Built: 1838
Date Deactivated: 1915
Optics: 1857: Third order Fresnel lens
Current Use: Privately owned.
Open To Public? no
The best way to view the lighthouse is by boat. Coastal Expeditions of Brunswick offers a 10-mile, 1 1/2 round trip cruise that includes the lighthouse. Call (912) 265-0392 for details.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places