Queens County Department of Tourism & Development
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 1264
This is the third oldest surviving lighthouse in Nova Scotia. It has been operated as part of Fort Point Lighthouse Park by the town of Liverpool since the 1970s.
Description of Tower: Square wooden tower built onto roof of keeper's quarters.
This light is not operational
Integral keeper's quarters.
Date Established: 1855
Date Present Tower Built: 1855
Date Deactivated: 1989
Date Automated: 1951
Optics: 1851: Three lamps and 12 reflectors; 1951: Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Hand-cranked fog horn.
Current Use: Museum.
The lighthouse is open mid-May to mid-October daily. The ground level of the lighthouse is handicapped accessible. Admission is free; donations are welcomed. The park is open year round. The museum features models, interpretive panels, and a video presentation. Visitors are invited to climb the tower and to operate the hand-cranked fog horn. There is also a gift shop.
Fort Point Lighthouse Park is located at the end of Main Street in Liverpool. There is a large free parking area.
Keepers: Samuel T. N. Sellon (1856-1888); A. J. Campbell (1888 -1896); John Edward Misener (1896-1936); James Harris McLeod (1936-1951)