Bureau des Phares et Balises
The original tower - designed by Léonce Reynaud, head of the French lighthouse service for over 30 years (1846-1878), and very similar to the Amédée Lighthouse in New Caledonia - was displayed at the 1867 Paris International Exposition before being moved to the site off the north coast of Brittany. The lighthouse was destroyed by German troops during World War II. A temporary light was established on a 56-foot tall pylon in 1950, then the light was moved in 1952 to the new tower still under construction. The rebuilt lighthouse was formally announced in June 1954.
Tower Height: 214
Height of Focal Plane: 197
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 5 seconds, visible for 28 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Conical stone tower rising from a five-story oval-shaped dwelling; green lantern.
This light is operational
1868: 187-foot conical iron tower.
Date Established: 1868
Date Present Tower Built: 1954
Date Automated: 2000
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Domenique Boclé, Philippe Camuzard (?-2000)