Canadian Coast Guard
This was originally a brick tower with two attached dwellings. It was encased in concrete in 1871, and encased in iron in 1885. The tower was again encased in concrete in the 1950s. As of January 2003 this is still a staffed light station.
Tower Height: 38
Height of Focal Plane: 390
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 5 seconds, visible for 21 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White octagonal tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1860
Date Present Tower Built: 1860
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Cape St. Mary's is a Provincial Ecological Reserve, administered by Newfoundland Parks and Natural Areas division. There is an interpretation center at the site. About one kilometer east of the light station is the Cape St. Mary's Bird Rock, a spectacular sanctuary for about 12,000 Northern Gannets, similar numbers of Common Murres and Blacklegged Kittiwakes, and lesser numbers of several other species. See www.gov.nf.ca/parks&reserves/capestmarys.htm
Keepers: John Reilly, William Collins, Thomas Young, Patrick Houlihan, James Conway, Arthur Conway (1933-?)