Naval Base Guantanamo Bay
PSC 1005 Box 25
The light from this lighthouse was transferred to a nearby skeletal tower in 1955. This lighthouse was one of the first all steel structures built in the U.S.. It was shipped from the U.S., where it was built in 1904, and assembled in Guantanamo. The interior is sleeved in tongue-and-groove mahogany, and there is a molded copper cupola. The weathervane has compass coordinates in Spanish ("O" for Oust, Spanish for West). The Cultural Committee of the Officers and Civilians Spouses Club is responsible for management of the lighthouse and the historical collection in the keeper's quarters.
Tower Height: 60
Description of Tower: White, conical cast iron tower with 6 supports.
Listed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1904
Date Present Tower Built: 1904
Date Deactivated: 1955
Current Use: Part of Naval station.
Open To Public? No.
The lighthouse keepers' cottage is currently in use as the Guantanamo Bay Naval Station, Cuba Cultural Historical Collection. The collection houses hundreds of black and white photos taken during the Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, as well as the Viet Nam Era. There is also an enormous amount of United States Marine Corps memorabilia covering over 100 years of their history at Guantanamo Bay. The Historical Collection is open to Naval Station residents and visitors from 2 to 4 p.m. each Sunday. The light was relocated to a skeletal tower in 1955, but in 1988 an unofficial light was put back in the lighthouse.