Friends of Head Harbour Lightstation
Contact Address Information:
C/O Joyce Morrell
11 Welshpool Street
This was one of the earliest Canadian light stations and the second in the area after Maine's West Quoddy Head Light. It was also the second New Brunswick light station after St. John Harbour. The red cross on the lighthouse represents the Cross of St. George, one of the elements which make up the Union Jack. The Friends of Head Harbour Lightstation have been making improvements here; volunteers painted the buildings in 2006. See www.flickr.com/photos/headharbourlight/show/ for photos of volunteers at work.
Tower Height: 51
Height of Focal Plane: 58
Characteristic and Range: Fixed red, visible for 13 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, tapered octagonal wood tower with red cross, with red lantern. Tower is attached to dwelling via a covered walkway.
This light is operational
Keeper's dwelling (construction date unknown), 1914 fog signal building, 1914 workshed, 1947 boathouse.
Date Established: 1829
Date Present Tower Built: 1829
Date Automated: 1986
Fog Signal: 1880: Fog horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Campobello Island is accessible via the F.D. Roosevelt Memorial International Bridge from Lubec, Maine. After crossing onto the island, continue for 2.5 miles. Bear right at a fork onto NB Route 774 North. Continue on this road for about seven miles until you the parking area for the lighthouse. The outcropping on which Head Harbour Head Light stands becomes an island at high tide. From about an hour before to an hour after low tide, access is possible via a series of stairs. Visitors should take care to note the tide situation in order to avoid being stranded at the station for hours. The lighthouse can also be seen from a two-hour Quoddy Region Lighthouse Cruise leaving Head Harbour Wharf. Call (506) 752-2359 for details. Some of the whale watches and other cruises offered by Island Cruises also pass the lighthouse; call (506) 752-1107.
Keepers: Arthur Alison Stuart (1984-1986).