Canadian Coast Guard/Acadia University
Life at this station was described in the book "We Keep a Light" by Evelyn Richardson, wife of Keeper Morrill Richardson. The buildings are now used by Acadia University’s Evelyn and Morrill Richardson Field Station in Biology.
Description of Tower: White, square concrete tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
1874: White, wooden square pyramidal tower.
Date Established: 1874
Date Present Tower Built: 1964
Date Automated: 1983
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The Fresnel lens from the old Bon Portage lighthouse is now at the Seal island Light Museum, Barrington, NS.
Keepers: Arthur Wrayton (1874-1882), William Wrayton (1882-1897), Leslie Hopkins (1897-1906), Angus Greenwood (1907-1913), Maurice Nickerson (1914-1918), Etheron Wickens (1919-1920), Osborne Langthorne (1920-1921), Harry Greenwood (1922), Earle Greenwood (1923-1926 and 1928-1929), G. Greenwood (1927), Morrill Richardson (1929-1964), Carroll Crowell (1964-1978), Sidney R. Nickerson (1978-1980), William R. Goodwin (1980-1983).