Min. of Traffic, Public Works & Water Management
A beacon was established at the western end of Walcheren Island in the 14th century. The present structure was built as part of a church in 1470 and served as an important landmark over the centuries. A light was added in 1817. The main body of the church burned down in 1831, but the tower survived. It is now a "royal monument" (since 1966). Both the Noorderhooft and Zoutelande towers are placed so that they work with this lighthouse (the high light) as ranges. The cast iron top portion was restored in 2004.
Tower Height: 172
Height of Focal Plane: 157
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 3 seconds, visible for 28 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Square stone tower with a red lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1817
Date Automated: 1981
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse grounds are easily accessible in the village of Westkapelle.