Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Dutch Island Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
Jamestown, Rhode Island, United States

Location: Southern tip of Dutch Island, West Passage of Narragansett Bay.


Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Dutch Island Lighthouse Society
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Dutch Island Lighthouse Society (chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation)

Website: http://www.dutchislandlighthouse.org
Email: DILScontact@gmail.com

Contact Address Information:
PO Box 435
Saunderstown
Rhode Island, 02874, United States

Notes:
The West India Company established a trading post on Dutch Island in 1625. A small fort was established on the island during the Civil War. The island is now owned by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management. Beginning in 2000, the Dutch Island Lighthouse Society, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation, worked for restoration of the lighthouse, which was abandoned in 1979. Work on the tower and concrete equipment building was completed in November 2007 by Abcore Restoration. The lighthouse was relighted as an aid to navigation on November 17, 2007.

Tower Height: 42

Height of Focal Plane: 56

Characteristic and Range: Red light; two seconds on, four seconds off.

Description of Tower: White, square brick tower with black cast iron lantern.

This light is not operational

Other Buildings?
Remains of concrete storage building and cistern.

Date Established: January 1, 1827

Date Present Tower Built: 1857

Date Deactivated: 1979-2007

Date Automated: 1947

Optics: 1857: Fourth order Fresnel lens.

Fog Signal: 1891: Fog bell and striking machinery (on side of lighthouse tower).

Current Use: Active aid to navigation.

Open To Public? Grounds only.

Directions:
Dutch Island Light can be viewed from the Fort Getty Recreation Area in Jamestown. Eastbound on RI 138: Cross over the Jamestown Bridge and continue to an exit just west of the Newport Bridge, marked with a "Jamestown" sign. If westbound, cross over the Newport Bridge to the Jamestown exit. Then follow Wolcott Avenue south; turn right at Hamilton Avenue, then left at Southwest Avenue to the entrance to the Fort Getty Recreation Area. There are day fees and camping fees in the park. You may be allowed a free short stay if you state that your purpose is to photograph the lighthouse. Follow the loop road around the park until it reaches the high ground by the bay with a view of Dutch Island.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: William Dennis (1827-1843), Robert H. Weeden (1843-1844), William P. Babcock (1844-1846), Robert Dennis (1846-1853), Benjamin Congdon (1853-1859), M. M. Trundy (1859-1865), W. W. Wales (1865-1873 ), Andrew King (1873-1875), George Fife (1875-1883), Mrs. M. Fife (assistant 1878-1883), H. W. Crawford (1883-1885), Lewis T. King (1885 -1901), Albert Henry Porter (1901-1916), John J. Cook (1916-1929), John Paul (1929-1931), John D. Davies (1931-1935), William C. Anderson (1935-1937), Ernest H. Stacey (1937-1947)

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History