Contact Address Information:
1 Lighthouse Inn Road
After it was discontinued in 1914, Bass River Light was sold into private hands. The Stone family opened it as the Lighthouse Inn in 1938. The inn features 61 rooms and cottages, 700 feet of private beach, tennis courts, and a waterfront dining room. The Stone family relighted the beacon as a private aid to navigation in 1989. The official name on the light lists is West Dennis Light.
Tower Height: 44
Height of Focal Plane: 44
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every six seconds (May 1 - October 31).
Description of Tower: Conical tower and red cast iron lantern on roof of dwelling.
This light is operational
1855 2.5 story keeper's house (modified and enlarged).
Date Established: 1855
Date Present Tower Built: 1855
Date Deactivated: 1914-1989
Date Automated: 1989
Optics: 1855: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation, inn and restaurant.
Open To Public? Yes (inn).
In West Dennis, a short distance east of the Bass River Bridge, turn onto School Street. Bear left at Main Street and then right at Lighthouse Road. Drive 1/2 mile to Lighthouse Inn Road and turn left. Continue to the inn's free parking lot. Near the inn there isa paved path that leads to a seawall.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Warren Crowell (1855-1861 and 1870-1880); James Chase (c.1861-?); Zelotes Wixon (c. 1860s); Samuel Adams Peak (1881-1906); Russell Eastman (1906-1914)