National Ports Authority
This is the oldest lighthouse in South Africa. It was raised to its present height in 1865. Part of headquarters of the Lighthouse Services Division of the National Ports Authority is located here. Guided tours are available, and there is a small conference facilty, gift shop, and visitor center.
Tower Height: 52
Height of Focal Plane: 66
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 10 seconds, visible for 25 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Square masonry tower with red and white diagonal stripes.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1824
Date Present Tower Built: 1824
Fog Signal: Originally diaphone signal, replaced by a nautophone in 1986.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Keepers: John Robertson Murray (1945 - c. 1948)