The old Sabine Bank Lighthouse, which once stood 15 miles out in the water off the Louisiana-Texas border, at the entrance to the Sabine River, is being restored to stand once again.
The lighthouse, which was first lit back in 1906, was de-staffed in 1945 and abandoned to the elements. The rusted hulk was declared a danger to navigation and was dismantled last year by Astron General Contracting which donated it to the local historical society.
Eldredge Construction Co, a company that repairs and fabricates construction of off shore oil-rigs has donated their workmanship to restore the old lighthouse. It will now be displayed in Lions Park in Sabine Pass, Texas.
This story appeared in the
April 2003 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.