By March of 1935, all repairs from the storm damage had been completed at Tillamook Rock Lighthouse. These photos, taken by Captain Charles Modeer of the Tender Manzanita, show the derrick and boom having been rebuilt in their original location on the eastern end of the Rock. The tender’s cargo boat is shown in the act of delivering supplies and a steam plume from the hoist engine is coming from a funnel atop the hoist building as two keepers await further down the cliff side to assist. (Courtesy Coast Guard Historian.)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2017
The Terrifying Tale of Terrible Tilly’s Perfect Storm of the Century
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017