The submarine telephone cable from Tillamook Rock Lighthouse to the mainland that perished in the storm was only three years old. This photo shows workmen aboard the Tender Rose splicing the cable together while laying it in June, 1931. There were at least two cables laid and destroyed due to storm damage between 1920 to 1934, so after this point, rather than spending money to replace it yet again, it was recommended by E. C. Merrill in his report that radiotelephone equipment be utilized instead. (Courtesy Columbia River Maritime Museum.)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2017
The Terrifying Tale of Terrible Tilly’s Perfect Storm of the Century
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017