Digest>Jul/Aug 2017

Photo Caption:

These two photos show what remained of one of the two derrick legs that were destroyed in the storm. In service from the very beginning in 1881, the wood stiff leg derrick was built on the more gentle sloping eastern side of the Rock, opposite of the western overhang, yet close enough to the southern crevice so that it still was subjected to being hit by rocks and debris during storms. Notice the remains of the hoisting gear that rests amid the wrecked debris and is seen below the tanks on the cliff side. (Courtesy Coast Guard Historian.)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2017


The Terrifying Tale of Terrible Tilly’s Perfect Storm of the Century
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2017

All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.


to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse Jewelry

Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2018   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History