These two photos show what remained of one of the two derrick legs that were destroyed in the storm. In service from the very beginning in 1881, the wood stiff leg derrick was built on the more gentle sloping eastern side of the Rock, opposite of the western overhang, yet close enough to the southern crevice so that it still was subjected to being hit by rocks and debris during storms. Notice the remains of the hoisting gear that rests amid the wrecked debris and is seen below the tanks on the cliff side. (Courtesy Coast Guard Historian.)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2017
The Terrifying Tale of Terrible Tilly’s Perfect Storm of the Century
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2018